Uday Ali Pabrai, MSEE, CISSP (ISSAP, ISSMP), HITRUST (CCSFP), Security+, a cybersecurity & compliance expert, is the chairman & chief executive of ecﬁrst. A highly sought-after professional, he has successfully delivered solutions to U.S. government agencies, IT ﬁrms, healthcare systems, legal, & other organizations worldwide.
- Served a Vice Chairman, Board of Directors, of a NASDAQ firm.
- Bootstrapped a business that led to an acquisition within 1,000 of launch.
- Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of a NASDAQ business.
- Created several certification training programs that emerged as global credentials.
- Established and managed an off-shore IT firm in India.
- Led 100s of cybersecurity and compliance engagements globally including across the USA, Canada, India, Philippines, Africa, the Middle-East, and Taiwan.
- Subject matter expert on cybersecurity standards including HIPAA, ISO 27001, PCI DSS, NIST, GDPR, and others.
- Keynote and featured speaker on cybersecurity at conferences worldwide.
- Chairman and chief executive of a cybersecurity and compliance focused firm delivering services globally.
- Faculty member, Webster University, M.S. Cybersecurity program.
Author, several texts on topics including TCP/IP, UNIX Internetworking and more.
- Enterprise Security Architect, Advisor, and Consultant to hundreds of mid to large businesses and U.S. government agencies in past two decades. Subject matter expert on information security and regulatory compliance standards including ISO 27001, PCI DSS, HIPAA, GDPR, HITRUST, FISMA, and Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404.
- Establish a base of over 5,000 clients in the financial, government, and healthcare industries in the U.S. as Chairman, CEO, and Co-founder of ecfirst. Recognized as an Inc. 500 business - America’s Top 500 Privately Held Business in 2004. Achieved distinction in first year of eligibility.
- Earned exclusive endorsement of ecfirst’s compliance training program by the American Hospital Association (AHA). Exclusive author of compliance & security tip article that is sent by the AHA to thousands of hospitals in U.S. every week.
- Published, The Art of Information Security, a leading book covering cyber security strategy and best practices, 2005.
- Bootstrapped Net Guru Technologies in 1994. Business acquired by NASDAQ-based firm in 1997.
- Awarded Entrepreneur of the Year by the Illinois Indian Chamber of Commerce in 1997 and nominated for Ernst & Young’s Entrepreneur of the Year® award, 1997.
- Career established in the United States in 1987 as a member of the security team at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab), U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) – world’s leading high-energy physics research organization. Fermilab sponsored my Permanent Resident (green card) process eventually leading to my acquiring U.S. citizenship in 1997.
- Career launched in 1983 with Schumberger, a leading oilfield services provider, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE) as an Associate Accountant. Saved earnings to offset U.S. college expenses.
U.S. government experience includes Fermilab (Dept. of Energy), and several federal and state agencies.
- Held office positions of CTO, CKO, and Vice Chairman for NASDAQ-based businesses.
- Clients have included Wells Fargo, U.S. Naval Surface Warfare Center, Principal Financial, Microsoft, Kemin, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Marsh, many hospitals, several U.S. state governments, and the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency.
- Established the world’s first certification program that comprehensively addresses global compliance standards and regulations in the area of information security - the Certified Security Compliance Specialist™ (CSCS™). Hundreds of client testimonials available at www.ecfirst.com.
- Developed leading certification credentials in the world, including CIW, Security Certified Program (SCP), and the HIPAA Academy’s CHP and CHSS.
- 10+ rated keynote speaker at several conferences, including ISSA, HCFA, HIPAA Summit, Internet World, DCI Expo, Comdex, Net Secure, Nurse Practitioners Conference, National Council for Prescription Drug Programs (NCPDP), National Council for State Board of Nursing (NCSBN) IT Conference, and many others.
- Delivered fast paced, high energy information security briefings in many cities worldwide including New Delhi (Pragati Maidan), Bangalore and Mumbai (India), Tsukuba City (Japan), Dubai (UAE), Karachi and Lahore, London (UK), and across the United States.
- Author of several best-selling industry books, including Internet & TCP/IP Network Security and Getting Started with HIPAA. Published hundreds of articles on regulatory compliance and information security.
Author of several best-selling industry books, including Internet & TCP/IP Network Security and Getting Started with HIPAA. Published hundreds of articles on regulatory compliance and information security.
2000 - Present
- Architect for the Managed Compliance Services Program developed by ecfirst. This is a 36-month, fixed fee program that enables businesses to achieve complete compliance with information security standards such as HIPAA, SOX Section 404, PCI DSS, and the ISO 27001.
- Project Manager for hundreds of audits to identify compliance gaps and security vulnerabilities in the enterprise information infrastructure. Authored reports and typically presented findings and recommended next steps for remediation to executive management and Board of Directors.
- Established security strategy and tailored information security policies and procedures for many organizations across the United States.
- Developed complete library of information security policies and procedures to meet requirements of ISO 27001, HIPAA, SOX, PCI DSS, and other legislations and standards.
- Led many projects in the areas of single sign-on (SSO) assessment and deployment, risk assessment, vulnerability assessment (penetration testing), perimeter defense, wireless security, compliance audit, and evaluation.
- Senior Security Consultant for a Marsh USA/Seabury and Smith project to deploy a VPN to support a cost effective, secure remote access solution for Seabury employees.
- Senior Security Consultant for Wells Fargo’s security infrastructure integration project. This project resulted in specific recommendations and implementation initiatives to minimize problems of integrating the security policies and infrastructure of newly acquired businesses.
- Senior Security Consultant for Principal Financial’s electronic signature requirements assessment project to address the security of electronic mortgage documents. Developed bizShield™ – a cyber security methodology for the 7 Steps to Enterprise Security including risk assessment and management, policies, remediation, training, and audit.
- Project Manager for BioShield™ – a fingerprint-based biometric authentication product that replaces the use for Windows passwords in NT and 2000.
- Trained thousands of technology and security professionals on cyber security threats and best practices for information security defense. Developed and delivered highly customized security training content for security officers for the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Keynote speaker at the VitalWorks Conference (2004), HIPAA Security Experts Round-table at HIPAA Summit (2004), Midwest E-Business Conference, the Iowa Governor’s conference on E-Business (2001), as well as a Panel Member for the e-Business Liability Forum for Marsh USA (June 2001). Key presenter for Compliance, PKI, and Biometrics at Internet World 2002 in LA.
1999 – 2000
- Lead effort to deploy world-class KMS solution that captures and stores knowledge at all levels of client engagements.
- Developed e-boot camp to establish baseline business and e-technology skills for employees.
- Responsibility. Managed Prosoft’s content development, e-business consulting, certification, and training practices on the cutting edge. Elected as Vice Chairman of Board in 1998.
- Acquisition Manager. Integrated and eliminated where necessary, all Net Guru Technologies’ personnel, business practices and processes into Prosoft’s operations.
- Product Architect. Defined Prosoft’s e-business content strategy. Led to completion the industry’s leading Internet skills certification program. Rolled out the CIW program worldwide with partners such as New Horizons, CompUSA, IBM Learning, and ExecuTrain.
- Industry Leadership. Established key relationships with AIP, WOW, and CompTIA.
- International Markets. Introduced Prosoft’s products and services in markets such as Europe, Japan, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates (UAE), and India.
1992 – 1997
- Start-up to Acquisition. Founded NGT as a single-person, self-financed, bootstrap operation in January 1994. NGT, an Internet skills training, certification and network security consulting business, was acquired by Prosoft (NASDAQ: POSO) in 1997.
- Created Internet Credential. Created the Certified Internet Webmaster (CIW) and established it as the leading credential for Internet skills certification worldwide.
- Consulting Practice. Developed an EAGLE ESM Network and Security Methodology that led to hands-on training and consulting projects all across the USA at sites such as Microsoft, CBOE, Kemper Insurance, Bank One, Landis & Gyr, NICOR, Norwest Mortgage and others.
- Founded Firm in Ireland. Partnered with Irish investors to establish the Internet Certification Institute International (ICII) in the Shannon area in Ireland.
- Strategic Marketing Agreements. Successfully concluded key revenue producing marketing agreements with dominant Internet trade-show and conference organizers such as MecklerMedia (Internet World) and DCI (e-business expo).
- Worldwide Certification Exam Partner. Was first in the industry to partner with Prometric to introduce exams that validate Internet skills.
1991 - 1992
- Responsible for migrating VAX/VMS systems on DECnet to a TCP/IP-based network.
- Lead consultant for problems related to DOS, UNIX and TCP/IP.
- Designed and implemented a TCP/IP subnet architecture for the firm’s TCP/IP network.
- Analyzed network traffic and configured network elements such as bridges and routers.
1987 – 1991
- Analyzed network load as a consequence of the X protocol. Addressed network load and client-server models of computing; diskless vs. dataless vs. X terminals vs. stand-alone systems. Factors considered included paging and swapping (its effect on the network), memory, protocols - their performance and network load.
- Evaluated FORTRAN compilers on the Sun SPARCstation, Silicon Graphics IRIS, Data General AViiON, Digital DECstation, and IBM RS/6000. Compliance with the ANSI specification and a study of the emerging Fortran 90 standard were the key objectives.
- Led the Computing Division UNIX Seed Project. Installed and integrated different flavors of UNIX (SunOS, AIX, ULTRIX, IRIX) on a TCP/IP network.
- Co-authored “Understanding and Using Computer Networks” Second Edition, 1991.
- Key member of the Supercomputer Task Force. Developed applications in REXX and FORTRAN for VM/XA. Lead consultant in the areas of networking and operating systems.
- Completed several projects on the IBM 7171 communications device and the Interlink gateway. Provided transparent access between VAX/VMS systems on DECnet and Amdahl systems.
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Thesis: Network Security Design for UNIX Systems in a Distributed Environment
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
- (ISSMP, ISSAP) – Certified Information Systems Security Professional (Management & Architecture)
- HITRUST Certified CSF Practitioner
- Indian High School, Dubai, UAE
- Topped All Schools in Middle-East in Grade 12 Examinations (All Subjects).
- On Merit List (Top 20) in India
“ I just wanted to take a moment and say thank you. Thank you and the excellent team at ecfirst for hard work, late hours, and diligence during the first round of our HITRUST certification, and now working on our annual risk management and HIPAA compliance assessment. ”
“ We at BRG are always looking to improve and enhance our compliance and cybersecurity posture. This is an area of executive and strategic priority for our organization to secure confidential client information. From HIPAA compliance, cybersecurity pen tests, to the HITRUST certification engagement, we have found ecfirst to be an exceptional partner that labored incredibly hard for us, with us. The ecfirst insight and diligence to ensuring HITRUST certification mandates are met led to us completing our engagement on budget and time. We look forward to deeper collaboration with ecfirst in the cybersecurity space in the future. I know you are personally committed and engaged to ensure BRG success with each engagement. I continue to recommend ecfirst highly and often! ”
Chip Goodman | Vice President of Information Technology
Berkeley Research Group, LLC
“ BrightOutcome is focused in improving patient health outcomes across the continuum of care. BrightOutcome is deeply committed to securing patient information across our systems and Web-based applications. We have been working with Ali Pabrai and his wonderful team at ecfirst since 2012. ”
“ The ecfirst team literally helped us build our HIPAA practices from ground up, allowing us to offer secure HIPAA-compliant eHealth and health IT solutions to our customers across the U.S. We are actively taking the logical next step in working with ecfirst to pursue the HITRUST certification in order to further expand our market. We see the partnership with ecfirst as an integral part of our business strategy and have been extremely satisfied with the quality and value of the services that ecfirst has rendered. ”
DerShung Yang, PhD, Founder, & President
“ I have 20+ years of experience in the Healthcare IT industry in a variety of roles including Cybersecurity software and services. During this time, I have seen numerous speakers on the topic of Cybersecurity and Ali Pabrai is among the best. ”
“ He covers the state of the industry, healthcare-specific regulations, process, product, best practices and call- to-action takeaways in a manner that can be understood at multiple levels including technical, clinical, supply chain, and executive. ”
“ Ali also weaves in stories and humor to keep the audience engaged on what can be a dry yet frightening topic. I highly recommend Ali Pabrai as a speaker, trainer and consultant in this area. ”
Director – Business Development
Srcg Ops – Business Technology
“ Provant Health partnered with ecfirst to build a plan and assist in executing it with the goal of achieving HITRUST certification. ”
“ Ali Pabrai and his team were flexible, collaborative, and most importantly patient as we worked to educate our management team and key employees on the meaning and value of HITRUST. Due to many internal corporate changes, the first phase of the project took much longer than planned but ecfirst stayed with us the whole way. They pushed our team when needed but also stepped back and gave us room at times. ”
“ I’d recommend ecfirst to any company who wants to understand HITRUST or work on assessing and remediating their processes and systems in preparation for certification.”
Tom Basiliere, Chief Information Officer
“ One of my main clients, the Utah Department of Health has been managing a major breach of data under the control of a business associate. ”
“ ecfirst was contracted to provide security risk analysis, technical vulnerability assessment, policy development, as well as training and certification services, includingthe Certified HIPAA Professional (CHP) and the Certified Security Compliance Specialist™ (CSCS™) programs. ”
“ My client reports, and my interaction supports, that ecfirst has been very professional in their contract performance. Services were tailored to meet the needs of the Department and Utah law.ecfirst has demonstrated dedication to ensuring that projects goals were met or exceeded every step of the way. ”
“ I strongly recommend them to anyone in need of similar services. ”
Doug Springmeyer, Assistant Attorney General
Chair, HIPAA Implementation Committee
Utah Attorney General’s Office
“ ecfirst provided The Utah Department of Health (UDOH) a set of HIPAA security policy templates and follow-up consultations. We were able to efficiently modify, adopt and put the policies into practice. Adopting ecfirst policy templates shortened our policy developmental time and established a solid foundation for us to implement HIPAA requirements. ”
Wu Xu, Ph.D. Director, Office of Health Information and Data Security
Information Security Officer, Utah Department of Health
“ The professionalism and complete subject matter knowledge make ecfirst the consultants of choice for HIPAA and HITECH information and issues. Our experience with ecfirst was unwavering in addressing all issues and enabling a foundation for an active and vibrant compliance program. Pabrai's leadership was exceptional, very devoted to ensuring all areas were appropriately addressed. ”
Department of Health, State of Utah
- Embedding Trust in IoT Systems and Connected Hardware - September 24-26, 2018 | Marseille, France.
- Cyber Immune Defense, Featured Presentation by Ali Pabrai at ISSA/ISACA/ISC2 Phoenix Security Conference | September 20, 2018.
- ISACA Hyderabad Features Ali Pabrai HITRUST Cybersecurity Workshop Addressing GDPR, NIST CsF, HIPAA & More | Jun 23, 2018.
- 2018 Euro CACS ISACA Event – Edinburgh, Scotland | May 28-30, 2018.
- Reminder for Cybersecurity Seminar Series: Enabling GDPR Readiness - Webster University Irvine | May 22, 2018.
- Interop ITX 2018 Schedule Viewer – The Mirage, Las Vegas | April 30 - May 4, 2018.
- The 27th National HIPAA Summit - Arlington, VA | March 27-29, 2018.
- HIPAA Summit XXVII Features CCSA℠ Program and Pabrai Brief on Asymmetric Attacks Mandate Credible Cyber Program - Washington, DC | March 27, 2018.
- Healthcare IOT - San Francisco, CA | Feb 13-14, 2018.
- Pabrai Delivers A Brief History of Cyber Attacks - Irvine, California | January 9, 2018.
- Arab Federation (AFIED) Launches Premiere Cybersecurity Event & Features Pabrai Keynote on Cyber Defense, Amman, Jordan | October 16, 2017.
- Pabrai Host & Moderator for ISACA CSX Cybersecurity Event- Cairo, Egypt| July 25, 2017.
- London, UK
- Dallas, USA
- Cairo, Egypt
- Orlando, USA
- Tsukuba City, Japan
- Marseille, France
- Washington, DC, USA
- New Delhi, India
- Dubai, UAE
- Karachi, Pakistan
- Naples, USA
- Accra, Ghana
- Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Omaha, USA
- Amman, Jordan
- Irvine, USA
- Edinburgh, Scotland
- Las Vegas, USA
- Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- Phoenix, USA